D-Day for Real

Picciotto, Sol s.picciotto at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Nov 25 10:34:34 PST 1998

I just heard on the radio that the Law Lords have just ruled against Pinochet, he is not legally immune. This passes the hot potato back to the politicians. Political pressure must now be brought to bear on New Labour, (i) to urge the Home Secretary Jack Straw not to use his power to refuse the extradition, and (ii) to press the Attorney General for Picochet to be tried in the UK for torture, as the UN Committee on Torture has urged. A UK prosecution may not be the best outcome and is fairly unlikely, but pressure for it might persuade Straw that sending him to Spain is the best option.

cheers

sol