Virtual Polibureau Debate

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Thu Nov 26 01:27:49 PST 1998

Henry,

Ironically, this post that you sent off confirms what I have written, namely that the left is very marginalized in China. I should say even more clearly, *Marxism* is very marginalized in Chihna, save for the Dengist version of it.

This is very clear from reading the Chinese press, whether it is the People's Daily, Workers' Daily, or the Economic Daily. There is no sense that criticisms of markets or capitalism carry much water in China. New reports from TV carry the same kind of liberal ideology about markets. There are expose's occasionally of th e'maleffects' of markets, scandals,...but, as in the United States they are not accompanied by anything that even borders on a Marxist criticism of cpitalist markets.

What would be more intersting for a Marxist list would be for you to respond to the article that Louis and others have put forth as a careful critique of Chinese economic policies and thier effect on workers, written by Gerard Greenfield and Apo Leong (the latter is from Hong Kong btw..). Or to Raymomnd Lau's recent two articles in Capital and Class on the effects of Chinese econmic policies and the fate of China's working class (Lau is from Hong Kong).

Steve