Fear of the word "racism" on the left

Fri Nov 27 11:16:24 PST 1998

Louis Proyect just suspended me from his list for a vigorous debate which ended in the post below. Since Lou posts as a militant anti-racist here, I just wanted show some of his other side.

Charles Brown

Detroit

James,

Do you have any thoughts on the phenomenon of the 80's and 90's wherein the racists and ruling class media have had a heavy campaign against use of the term "racism" ; and how so many even on the left so quickly "tire" of hearing accusations of "racism" ? To me this censorship of the term "racism" is one of the main tactics of the New Racism.

In the thread we have just completed we have so many white people uncomfortable with this term or idea. They completely exonerate themselves and are the leading experts on what and what is not racist. Isn't this Left paternalism ?

Charles Brown

Detroit

Charles, I just suspended you from the Marxism list for a week. You can resubscribe next Friday if you'd like.

Lou

Louis Proyect (http://www.panix.com/~lnp3/marxism.html)