Kornai and Hayek

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Fri Nov 27 19:32:58 PST 1998

<<

In the west east--the Czech Republic, Slovenia, Poland, Hungary, and

probably the Baltic Republics (though I don't know enough) I thought that

the results of shock therapy were actually a little bit better than I had

expected. Don't they look on track to become western European-style social

democracies in a decade?

The C.R, maybe. Slovenia seems to hanging on to the worker controilled coioperative socislaim of the former Yugoslavai, with OK results. Poland's a disaster story, polarization, poverty, the works. Unlike Russia, though, it has an economy. Humgary's atwo decades behind the C.R, so it'a anybody's guess. The Baltics are in terrible shape because their economiesa re depoendent on Russia's. Finland too, by the the way.

--jks