Shahn steals the show

Christopher Niles cniles at ricochet.net
Sat Nov 28 09:31:38 PST 1998

Hi Eric,

Well, I don't think Quentin "I think Spike Lee is a reverse-racist" Tarantino is brillant, just a market-saavy, apolitical guy who's taken gratuitous violence in the movies to one of it's logical, profitable ends. There is nothing subtle about the very overt references he makes to other movies in his flicks. Tarantino is sentimental about those films; he does not force his audience to ask difficult questions about the who, why and what of them. His films are sort of equivalent to what happens in the world of hip-hop where people lacking original musical talent (or more accurately, lacking the resources or encouragement to develop those talents) use their smarts snatching bits and pieces from old tunes and working them into usually not-very-fresh beats overlaid with some offensive or apolitical or just sorry-ass rapping. Even when they contrive some cool shit, it usually does not have much of a shelf-life.

That said, thanks for the insights on abstract art viz. its political significance. You've given me something to think about today.

Niles