Kornai and Hayek

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Sat Nov 28 10:37:45 PST 1998

Both of Dennis and Justin are right about Poland. It is growing rapidly and has succeeded in reorienting its exports westward, aided by a willingness to let the zloty float downwards, in contrast to the strong currency approach taken in the former GDR that has devastated it. As Dennis notes, Poland has avoided full privatization, making it a lot like China actually, but as Justin noted it has also had lots of polarization and lots of losers. Unemployment has been gradually declining, but no government has yet succeeded in getting itself reelected in Poland, a definite sign of continuing unhappiness.

Of the Baltic states, Estonia has done the best as usual, aided partly by close ties with Finland, which is back on a pretty strong growth path.

You're way off with respect to the Czech Republic, Justin. They went through a major financial crisis a year ago in May, actually the immediate predecessor to the crash in Thailand, and have had very low growth since then. However, they have avoided high unemployment and have maintained a fairly equal distribution of income as has Slovakia.

Hungary is not nearly as far behind the C.R. as you said. They were maintaining the best social safety net of all until the last few years when they did major budget cutbacks under outside pressure, thus making their income distribution much worse. Although not growing as fast as Poland, Hungary is in pretty good shape compared to most of these. Gradualism has paid off there.

Slovenia is doing just fine on most fronts, thank you, as we fans of workers' management never cease liking to point out, :-). However it is no longer the case that a majority of the capiatl stock is state-owned. But, they have strongly favored workers' ownership and have resisted foreign direct investment for buyout purposes. They are under strong pressure from the EU to relax these restrictions as a condition for joining the EU. Barkley Rosser On Fri, 27 Nov 1998 20:13:06 -0800 (PST) Dennis R Redmond <dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU> wrote:

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu