Lurker on the mountain top, Sam and Eric

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 29 06:53:40 PST 1998

>While I realize that not everybody on the LBO list is an avowed "marxist,"
>> those who are "marxist" are having the same arguments about who is a
>> "marxist" as their forbears one and two generations before them. They are
>> citing the same texts, and preparing the same outrages for one another.
>
>No we're not. Global capitalism is a very, very, *very* different beast

Sorry, Lurker, can't find your post, and forgot your name(Daniel?)

Anyway, hi, and welcome. While I agree with what Dennis has to say, I must admit that when I read your post, it reminded me of a few months ago, when I had just gotten here myself, and I spent hours reading a dense thread argueing Marxist theory. It was great for me, since I had never read any of the stuff the guys were talking about. But as I came to realize that some of this stuff had been argred about for decades, I thought it was kinda strange. It seemed like it had just taken some of Marx's ideas a long time to pan out, and establishment types had used this to try and discredit much more that it really implied. Course, I've forgotten much of what I read, anyway. But I assumed this is what you were talking about. That whole contridiction thing.

Hope to; hear from you again.

Hi Sam and Eric, nice to read ya. You're not the same guy, I finally realized. Do you know each other?

Sam, your classical music post reminded me of the only time I let someone drag me to an opera. I was determined to enjoy it, even though I don't like that kinda vocal. Don't even like Joni Mitchell's voice. But as soon as the lead guy (it was Tosca) took a bow in the middle of the action, it cracked me up, and the rest was a farce, in my eyes.

But what you describe in classical music, happens in my kind of music too. Else why do the Eagles(don't llisten to commercial music, so I'm dated) have hits, and Ry Cooder, John Fahey and Roy Buchanan don't? Why do people like Boz Scaggs and Bonnie Raitt, go staight to hell once they do start having hits?

I imagine that with classical, it's harder to find the up side of this situation. Like getting to go to a guitar workshop Cooder had at the MLK festivities, or seeing Fahey in this little place behind a small vintage instument shop.(And getting to talk with him, surrounded by cops and transvestites at the Majestic Diner on Pounce. Supporting an orchestra is another ballgame. Cooder was there with his family, carrying his guitar, enjoying the event. Less overhead. Our symphony was on strike a couple of years ago. Didn't follow it though, otherwise occupied.

I have suspended myself from this list for the rest of the day due to general household chaos.

toodles Paula