[Fwd: Personal request]

Charles Miller bautiste at uswest.net
Sun Nov 29 09:17:46 PST 1998

Louis asked me to forward this piece by a list member on Marxism to the lbo-list, since he was maxed out (sorry Max! :-) on emails to the LBO.

I am happy to do this, since Artaud is one of my culture heroes. For those interested in reading his work, I suggest taking a look at the small anthology put out by City Lights. His work is violent, anarchic, and vicious in its hatred of the bourgeois life-style he and the Surrealsits hoped to undermine via anarchic works of art. Breton said Artaud went _through_ the mirror, referring to the mirror art holds up to nature. One can see Artaud's esthetic at work in Peter Brooks' ensemble, Theater of Cruelty. Brooks' production of King Lear reflects the indluence of Artaud. Interestingly enough, Artaud himself identified the early Marx Brothers movies as closest to his vision of the a Theater of Cruelty. At the end of his life, Artaud made a trk to Mexico where he visited the Tarahumara Indians and participated in the Peyote ritural. His booklet on the visit, and all of his later work is extremely interesting in its incorporation of Peyote hallaucinations and symbolism.

chuck miller