What is the International Social Security Association?

John K. Taber jktaber at onramp.net
Sun Nov 29 17:06:44 PST 1998

I stumbled on this URL http://www.aiss.org/ and rooting around I came across _Restructuring Public Pension Programs_ by Larry Thompson of the Urban Institute. It is also entitled _The Social Security Reform Debate: In Search of a New Consensus_.

I would appreciate any help on the provenance of this report. For one thing, it contains a table showing Social Security expenditures as 15.2% of GDP. This is incredibly high. The Trustees Report gives 4.6% of GDP.

The table footnotes say that the 15.2% figure is obtained from the International Labour Organization. Isn't the ILO a capitalist front?

And what do you all think of the Urban Institute?

I suspect that the "report" is tendentious and unusable, but I would like the opinion of lbotists.

-- Homines id quod volunt credunt.