Figuring 1998 dollars in terms of 1988/89 dollars

John B Kelly JBryan at world.std.com
Sun Nov 29 18:13:03 PST 1998

First, thanx to Doug for the numbers.

Tom:

Your questions point at what might be termed "lemon management": Massachusetts rates us severely disabled types for how many hours/week of personal care we rate, gives us a lump sum check every month ($7.85 X hours per month), which we pay our "helpers" (typically called personal care attendants), hired thru ads, word-of-mouth, wherever. No benefits, no Soc Sec, no worker's comp, no sick time, overtime, no nothing.

This is just about to change, w/ a nominal raise, and all sorts of w/holding. Still no benefits, but if they work OT w/o a good excuse, I pay the difference. What I and some others have been doing is paying a higher wage (the economy is so "good," we can't find "good help."), and squeezing my hours a little.

This situation, for us disabled types, has been one of relative freedom and independence, compared to the alternatives: incarceration in a nursing home, or somehow finding "free" labor from family members. For the helpers, it is somewhere on the oppression continuum, I guess, but this fact is complicated by two factors: since our bodies are living things, they demand daily attention; and, since our bodies are so devalued, and the wage so low, we can easily become beholden to the workers who will do this "dirty work." A lot of negotiating goes on, in other words. I would argue strongly, however, that, *because we have no choice but to go on "producing"*, while our helpers can move on, that our situation is quite a bit more tenuous.

And no, there is no union. The reason? Disorganized, transient, illegal workers, I guess. In CA, I think there are a few. An interesting ? would be whom would a union organize against? Us lemon managers, who produce (or manage the production of) a socially devalued item, namely our disabled bodies? Or the ultimate funder, the state. Even though we are certainly employers (I fired someone today), our true position might be more that of foreman.

I admit I would be ambivalent about a union ("Throw him off the list!"), because I feear the organizing would be at me/us disabled types.

I'm fighting for a better wage out of self-interest, so I can have talented, happy "helpers", and so can lead my life. Does this move me from lumpen nothing to petty bourgeoisie?

Perhaps I *should* be helping organize a union, or some boundary-crossing disabled-helper alliance, and, and, and.....

So, yes there is more than just numbers here. I encourage caution before you judge.

John