Abuse of power

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Nov 29 19:23:56 PST 1998

Enzo Michelangeli wrote:

>Indeed, the very existence of attempts to build
>common ground between "red" and "green" never ceases to amaze me.

Why should it? The exploitation of workers and nature goes hand in hand, as Marx argued in a fine paragraph in Capital vol. 1. The ideal of Marxism is that the technical skills and social organization brought about by capitalism should lay the groundwork for a nonexploitative society in which abundance became a practical possibility, and the satisfaction of human needs and the development of the individual in society should take precedence over the needs of production and profit. Both reds and greens are critical of the grotesque distortions created by a competitive, atomized, alienating culture. There is, or should be, a lot of common ground here.

Doug