Jubilee 2000 South Africa Launched

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sun Nov 29 23:56:56 PST 1998

At 07:39 AM 11/30/98 +0000, Patrick Bond wrote:

>The superprofit repatriations by TNCs are now being looked into,
>particularly in relation to the Swiss and German firms. There are
>excellent researchers in those countries, but US and British comrades
>(and French and Japanese and Dutch) are yet to join this leg of the
>work.

I can't suggest anyone myself, but it would be disappointing if no one on this lists has any connections. Isn't some left pride at stake here?

>Am off to a big conference on debt in Maputo on Friday, where the
>Mozambicans have also launched a Jubilee campaign. If anyone's
>interested I could post you separately two superb papers by the left
>journalist Joe Hanlon, on why the Mozambique version of the
>Highly-Indebted Poor Countries debt relief initiative (the pilot
>project) is a crock.

Please do. The British government even before this administration, has long had no problem about appearing generous to a few of the poorest countries like Mozambique. Joe Hanlon is a good man and I am sure this paper will be an interesting critique of this reformist policy.

Chris Burford

London