Political and economic crisis

Enzo Michelangeli em at who.net
Mon Nov 30 16:46:51 PST 1998

-----Original Message----- From: Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> Date: Tuesday, December 01, 1998 3:35 AM

[...]

>The thing that both Mark Jones and I find dismaying is the general lack of
>the Marxist left to come up with a response that is appropriate to the
>crisis. It seems that George Soros is more alarmed than most leftists. To a
>degree this is because, as the Times points out, he is worried about
>financial exposure in risky markets. On the other hand, Soros is a real
>intellectual who has attempted to come up an integrated world-view that
>defends the long-term interests of the bourgeoisie. It should be our
>challenge to do the same thing for the working-class.

Aw gimme a break: Soros is a smartass who's trying to build himself a democratic viginity in order to protect his own business from political backlash. Besides, the theoretical foundations of his investing strategies are cloudy at best, and sometimes he misjudges getting badly screwed. It is probably none of my business, but pity the working class if you want to "do the same thing" for them.

Enzo