Hedge fund fallout & Other Merry Weather

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Thu Oct 1 11:39:14 PDT 1998

Re Brad's: "The New York Federal Reserve loaned the LCTM creditors the use of a conference room, told them they had a problem, and suggested strongly that they solve it. This is the lightest of possible government interventions..."

Intervention-lite, huh? In the classic phrase -- like being "a little pregnant." Consider also Michael M. Thomas' column this week in New York Observer (Oct. 5): "In my 20-odd years on and around Wall Street, I spent many unpleasant hours at creditors' meetings. Rule No. 1 is that such meetings are held in the offices of whoever is calling the shots -- that is, whoever is going to have to ante up the most. Statements to the effect that the New York Fed merely provided the tea and finger sandwiches strike me as disingenuous."

Will you be wanting lemon or milk with your $3.5 billion?

Carl Remick