the most common leveraged purchase

W. Kiernan WKiernan at concentric.net
Fri Oct 2 07:37:21 PDT 1998

Jeffrey Levin wrote:

> Greg Nowell wrote:
> >
> > ...If you put $3k down on a $100k house which you sell at $90k,
> > you'll have to cough up an additional $7k to get out of the
> > house--the equivalent of a 200% margin call...
>
> ...These 3% loans work best for moderate to middle income households
> with adequate incomes but inadequate savings. They don't do nearly
> as much for low income folks for whom homeownership is clearly out of
> reach...

There's something wrong with the idea of the average house owner thinking of his house as an investment, leveraged or no. This is a mistake I see repeatedly; comparing a working-class house owner to a rich fellow idly gambling with investments.

Primarily, a house is not an investment! Not in any social class I've ever belonged to, anyway; I can't speak for the folks on the hill. A house is something to live in; you have to live somewhere. The alternative to a low down payment house for low income folks is to rent. When you rent, of course, your payments just go up in smoke. Certainly I'd rather buy a house with a slightly higher-than-usual effective interest rate than rent a house.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net