Greenspan Hearings. ? Staged Event? on CSPAN , Opportunity Blown

Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu
Fri Oct 2 13:32:32 PDT 1998

Carl Remick wrote: Re: Greenspan hearings.

Hey guys, a tremendous opportunity was missed. I watched some of this. The question I have about the senate banking committee it this is a show for idiots. Years ago I saw Chomsky and McGeorge Bundy debate and it was apparent that Chomsky knew his stuff more than Bundy. This sort of thing is important, because at least some of the public sees this stuff and when a wider range of material is discussed. Some of the Congressional sentiment was very nice but the factual material is very weak on the side of the Congressional Committee.

The amount of factual material discussed on either the Federal Reserve side or the Congressional committee side was so small that I am convinced I could have hired actors to play Congressman and Federal Reserve Chairman and nobody would know the difference. Brad and Max and anybody else who would know the answer, are these hearings effectively staged for public consumption. If not, why doesn't Congress have enough economic support that when the Chairman of the Fed walks through their doors.

Greenspan in public plays the disinterested beaurocrat comming to the reluctant conclusion that Lassez Faire as much as possible leads to the greatest good for the greatest number. He should not be allowed to get away with this. I think there is enough Left Wing Sentiment among the likes of Frank, Sanders etc. so I don't understand why Golden opportunities like this are missed.

--mike

-- Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu Work: 677 Beacon, Street, Rm313 Boston, Mass 02115 Home: 25 Stearns Rd, #3 Brookline, Mass 02146 Tel-Work: 617-353-9484 Tel-Home:617-734-8828 Tel-FAX:617-353-7755