Your post., Pen-l

Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu
Fri Oct 2 16:33:07 PDT 1998

James Devine wrote:

> (Though this is a pen-l discussion, I'll send it to lbo-talk. I'm below
> quota today.)

Liked your post. My strong suspicion is that you can make a good case that the

stronger the labor movement in a country at the outset of industrialization, the most likely one will see a successful industrialized country at the end of the process. Without a credible threat to the nascent bourgeoisie you'll produce a class of looters ane exploiters as opposed to a bourgeoisie. Its generally easier to be a thief than a successful capitalist.

Sometimes the threat comes from elsewhere, in Russia post Stalin labor was entirely destroyed and the Soviet Union functioned because the KBG was a credible threat to the "managers". This evaporated after the Yeltsin takover.

Jim what is the mailing list load at pen-l like and how does it differ from lbo-talk. Whats its load re postings.

--thanks.

Mike -- Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu Work: 677 Beacon, Street, Rm313 Boston, Mass 02115 Home: 25 Stearns Rd, #3 Brookline, Mass 02146 Tel-Work: 617-353-9484 Tel-Home:617-734-8828 Tel-FAX:617-353-7755