L.O.T.E.

michael at ecst.csuchico.edu michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Mon Oct 5 08:41:17 PDT 1998

Jim Devine was too easy on Brad. Look, the problem is not whether Boxer is better than Fong. Sure, I agree with her more than Fong.

The problem is that so long as we appear to be content with such marginal differences, we will have to accept the swill fed to us by the right wing democrats.

The Christian coalition would never follow such a strategy -- well, maybe they are becoming a bit more conventional now. They, like the Greens, pressured and drove their party in the preferred direction.

The grass roots antiwar activism drove the demos to the left, albeit reluctantly. Even McCarthy and McGovern were too much for the powers that be. They responded with the DLC. And we are to be satisfied?

I hate to think of the environmental and social devastation that will follow a repub. landslide, but as SDS realized long ago, we might need to be whacked upside the head before we shake off our apathy.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu