over capacity/over built

Andrew C Pollack andypollack at juno.com
Mon Oct 5 10:07:35 PDT 1998

I sure hope someone replies to this, given the flurry of advertising by the USWA -- cosponsored with the steel bosses -- against imports. At the same time some on the left are heralding the steelworkers' union for a lawsuit against NAFTA (the details of which I admit I don't know), they're also dredging up the same old protectionist crap. This at a time when the need for and possibility of international solidarity should be clearer than ever.

By the way, although I don't have the figures, I thought U.S. steel productivity had gone back up in the last decade, especially because of the minimill craze, layoffs, and wage and benefit concessions? And what about the steel companies' diversification into oil, real estate, etc.?

Andy Pollack