Another Nazi Myth Bites the Dust

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 5 12:13:43 PDT 1998

Rosser Jr, John Barkley wrote [quoting Lynn Turgeon]:

>The early years
>represented considerable continuity with the Bruning policy, particularly the
>Fritz Todt plans for motorization and the famous autobahns, one of the
>positive
>legacies of Hitler.

>Generally speaking,
>Hitler was the more successful

>The Russian economy today would seem to have more to learn from the
>German experience after 7 lean years of deflationary monetarist policy under
>Yeltsin than from FDR's fiscal bungling.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but you should really scrutinze any text that uses the words "positive" and "successful" around Hitler. As Kalecki argued, fascism can tolerate full employment because of the vicious repression of labor. I hope Lynn wouldn't condone that part of the model, and recommend it to the Russians.

Doug