Republican Party Advances in California...

Mon Oct 5 13:55:40 PDT 1998

Re:

>"Yes, if Davis is up by 5% among likely voters the weekend before
>election day, I'll vote for Hamburg.
>
>But if Davis ain't up by 5%, I hope you'll be voting for Davis..."

> Brad, I think it is interesting indeed that you would vote for a green
>if you thought it were possible. That is opportunism as a voter. It
>shows even you have lost your compass as a demo. How soon before you
>make the transfer?

If the Democrats get squashed between a large party to their left and the Republicans (as happened to the British Liberals after World War I), I'll switch left in a New York minute.

And I am very happy showing Democrats that there *are* voters to their left--as long as doing so doesn't elect people to the Democrats' right.

But absent such a large *durable* mass party pulling down votes by the tens of millions, what was good enough for TJ and FDR is good enough for me...

It seems to me that political democracy is an extremely valuable thing, and that it should be used to try to get better (or less bad) people elected. Others seem to think that the vote should be used as a means of personal symbolic expression--a kind of art, if you will...

Brad DeLong