Republican Party Advances in California...

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 5 16:21:38 PDT 1998

James Devine wrote:

Insted, restate the issue: last time I checked, my vote doesn't count for anything. There are millions and millions of other voters. So a simple economic calculation indicates that the cost of voting (driving to the school nearby, getting out of the car, etc., risking being late to work) may exceed the benefit (having a 1/1,000,000 impact on the election -- at most). So by simple economic criteria, I shouldn't vote at all.

I decided years ago that the way in which I (that 1/2,000,000 counting non-voters) could most probably be of any impact was through extra-electoral organizing, whenever that became possible, and that maintaining that posture required *going to the polls* but *casting a blank or spoiled ballot. In the 1988 campaign there were important non-electoral goals to be served, but only during the primary season, in supporting Jackson, so I voted in the primary, but then went back to casting blank or spoiled ballots.

There is such an egregious asshole running for governor in Illinois this year that if I thought voting made any difference I would for once seriously consider voting Republican (since murderer that he is, he is a lesser evil than Poshard), but it wouldn't really be worth it.

As far as I can see, those who at this late date still try to drag progressives in captivity behind the dem chariot must simply be fearful of politics as such. I have ceased to feel any urge to argue with them, nor can I any longer even imaginatively understand their motives.

Carrol