fwd: Another Nazi Myth Bites the Dust

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 6 10:22:33 PDT 1998

Tom Lehman wrote:

> BTW my congressman reportedly once refered to Bob Taft's supporters as the
> Hitler Youth; a little Nazi analogy. He probably should have refered to them
> as corporatists---let's educate people.

Even Taft (or perhaps especially Taft) had somewhat complex politics. Max Ascoli's *The Reporter* (which at the time I read in utter innocence), the "thoughtful person's guide to get them reds" supported Eisenhower for the Republican nomination, Stevenson in the election. But Taft was probably the last chance for the U.S. to stay out of other people's back yards -- he was a pre-war isolationist who at least partly stuck to his guns when Vandenberg led the charge of the Rep. Party into the ranks of cold-war interventionism.

As I think I mentioned in a previous post, I dropped my sub to *The Reporter* when it became clearer to me in the mid-60s the *real* meaning of its (and my own previous) politics. And it went under shortly thereafter -- one of the happier casualties of Viet Nam.

Carrol