Labor and the IMF

Alex LoCascio alexlocascio at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 6 21:17:26 PDT 1998

Michael Cohen wrote:
>How nice, is this Universally true.

Pretty much. The "changes" at the AFL-CIO are largely cosmetic. A few concessions to women and people of color, a "renewed focus on organizing," and a program to encourage little shits like me to become professional organizers at the expense of rank-and-file workers (Kim Moody cites a study in the July-August '97 Monthly Review which proved that organizing is more successful when done by actual workers rather than by professional organizers, but the AFL keeps pushing the Organizing Insitute and Union Summer as a panacea for organized labor's ills).

But other than that, it's the same old AFL-CIO.

>The UAW seems to get a lot of info from
>EPI, they mightbe a better bet.

The UAW? You mean the guys who supported the Vietnam War? Puh-Leez.

Organized labor is pretty much my pet cause, but I have no illusions about it. They do the good they can and the evil they must. Unions aren't leftist institutions, and we shouldn't expect them to be.