Populism

Tue Oct 6 22:50:43 PDT 1998

I think it was Brad who wrote:

> > The three popular definitions of fascism I've seen are (1) authoritarian
> > capitalism in general (from Pinochet to Thatcher); (2) the corporate state,
> > where business, labor, and government meet in tripartite bodies, with labor
> > as a subordinate in the trio, having lost its right to go on strike; and
> > (3) a fascist or authoritarian mind-set, as in the Frankfurt school's "F
> > scale" (which measures degrees of fascist mentality).

To an audience of Canadian businessmen, Schumpeter recommended number 2 as a putative alternative to fascism. He promulgated a corporatism based on the teachings of the Catholic Church; of course many who left the talk can be forgiven for thinking that Schumpeter had spoken in favor the fascist project (see Richard Swedberg's Schumpeter bio). The best discussion I have found of the philosophy of corporatism is in Abram Harris, Economics and Social Reform. Another volume of Harris' writings has been put together by William Darity, Jr.

This so called communitarian philosophy espoused by the Michael Lerner's and Michael Sandel's seems to be infested with this creepy crawly stuff. You hear it from all political sides nowadays, and I don't have to like it.

best, rakesh