The role of the state

Randy Stone stonerandy at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 7 08:02:56 PDT 1998

>Brett Knowlton wrote:
>
>>This got me wondering - what do you think is the ideal role of the
state?
>>Where do you think it should be involved, etc.? Maybe this is too
much of
>>an open question, but I'll ask it anyway.
>
>Heavens. You know, to expropriate the expropriators and all. The rest
is
>beyond me now.
>
>Doug

Far from having an ideal role, the state has a very practical role according to Marx in the Germany Ideology: "With the division of labor...is given simultaneously the distribution, and indeed the unequal distribution, both quantitative and qualitative, or labor and its products, hence property...Further, the division of labor implies the contradiction between the interest of the separate individual or the individual family and the communal interest of all individuals who have [dealings] with one another...And out of the this very contradiction between the interest of the individual and that of the community the latter takes an independent form as the State, divorced from the real interests of individual and community, and at the same time as an illusory communal life...all struggles within the State...are merely the illusory forms in which the real struggles of the different classes are fought out among one another...On the other hand, too, the practical struggle of these particular interests, which constantly really run counter to the communal and illusory communal interests, makes practical intervention and control necessary through the illusory general interest in the form of the State."

The practical role of the state is to "serve and protect" private property. This is done through the various civil, criminal, and administrative codes produced through legislative and executive bodies. When push to comes to shove among the "ideals" of "individual interest", "special interests", and "general interest", the state, in the form of armed bodies of men, steps between the combatants, and "force decides."

Randy Stone