The upside of the downside (economic analysis)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Oct 7 12:01:47 PDT 1998

Gregory Nowell:
>To conclude. Certain of the conditions currently
>prevailing in world markets are strongly reminiscent of
>the 19th century style "busts" (cf. 1896, 1907) that
>wreaked a good deal of havoc and which were supposedly
>tamed by the advent of the welfare state, social
>security (both spurs to consumption) and deficit
>spending.

This is really not the right way to see things. Historical analogy can only cloud our perception of what is going on. It is necessary to situate the current economic crisis within the context of the failure of the capitalist system to keep pace with the level of growth enjoyed in the post-WWII years. This is a big problem because working people have gotten accustomed to the idea of being entitled to this sort of prosperity, which has taken on mythic proportions. Politics since the Nixon era has consisted of nothing basically but one attempt or another to recapture the golden age. What is left out, of course, is that this golden age was a direct result of WWII. Wars tend to punctuate capitalist crisis and open up new periods of growth. Unfortunately, war is a limited option in the nuclear age. This does not mean that it won't take place but that it has even more calamitous consequences than ever before. Seeing the current situation exactly for what it is requires a certain amount of fearlessness. There is evidence that elements of the bourgeoisie, such as Walter Russell Mead, have begun to look at it with open eyes. I don't seem to see that much of an equivalency on the left, except for the nut "vanguard" groups who always live in the eleventh hour.

Louis Proyect