Henwood on Keynes

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Wed Oct 7 12:39:28 PDT 1998

Re Greg's: "But Doug is much harder on poor Mr Keynes, though he has paid Mr Keynes the respect of reading him closely & extensively. And perhaps that's enough."

That's *more* than enough. I credit Doug for opening my eyes to just what a narrow, nasty man Keynes really was. Citations from Doug's Wall Street -- e.g., Keynes on Marxism: an "erroneous ... creed which, preferring the mud to the fish, exalts the boorish proletariat above the bourgeois and the intelligentsia who, with whatever faults, are the quality in life and surely carry the seeds of all human advancement." Or Keynes on civilization: "a thin and precarious crust erected by the personality and the will of a very few, and only maintained by rules and conventions skillfully put across and guilefully preserved."

You can have his Lordship.

Carl Remick