Turgeon qua "turgid"

Wed Oct 7 16:34:36 PDT 1998

OK I have to go over limit to respond to this.

Before we get to my inconsistency, will someone please explain why this Turgeon did not present Hitler's employment programs in the context of Hitler's war against labor (though this seems to be underlined in the book he was putatively reviewing) or delve into the working conditions in these programs? What was he trying to prove?

I thought Barkley had forwarded this review to underline the dangers of the keynesian fetishization of state created full employment.

Barkley, what were you trying to prove? My guess is that you were trying to prove exactly what I have said, but you are too chicken to criticize your fellow economist in the open. Why else would have forwarded this everywhere without comment?

Instead all the economists are now telling me what a cool guy this Lynn is. As if we are just supposed to trust someone in their profession. What Turgeon wrote is egregious; it deserves no sympathy.

Now as for calling this guy turgid, let me suggest how the game works.

If I pun on someone's name as turgid (and let's not forget that I never got past the A's on my SAT word list and remain unsure exactly what the word means) it is not appropriate to call me rajneesh, gandhi or sandn-word. Many insults and puns would be justified and accurate but impugning me in terms of my race is just not funny and associating me with the worst and most prevalent stereotypes of Indians is hurtful and demeaning.

For example, you could call me an ultra leftist foolish bandar (monkey). That is indeed accurate.

For all I knew from Barkley's forward, Turgeon is an open pro Hitlerite Keynesian. In this context, my punning on his name as turgid was rather mild.