fascism

Richard Gibson rgibson at pipeline.com
Wed Oct 7 21:41:58 PDT 1998

Seems to me that fascism, which I think Dutt (Fascism and Social Revolution) did a better job defining as a logical and necessary result of capitalism in decay, better than Dimitrov's nasty guys in the ruling class stuff (United Front Against Fascism), is really a permanent feature of capitalism in power. No major industrial power got that way without a fascist historical background or continuing imperial ties to fascism. The debate in the Comintern in the thirties about the nature of fascism was really interesting.

At 08:32 AM 10/7/98 -0700, you wrote:

>state,
>labor
>
>That was I who wrote that. Others have pointed out other definitions of
>"fascism."
>
>>This so called communitarian philosophy espoused by the Michael Lerner's
>>and Michael Sandel's seems to be infested with this creepy crawly stuff.
>>You hear it from all political sides nowadays, and I don't have to like
>>it.
>
>It must be noted that these folks explicitly disavow the authoritarianism
>that is at the heart of all of the definitions of fascism I know of.
>(Lerner, for one, used to count himself as a leftist. Does he still do so?)
>But because they don't deal with that authoritarianism very well,
>communitarianism sure does lean in the direction of fascism. Like a
>relative of mine who is a "economic social democrat and a social
>conservative (anti-abortion)" who wants nationalization and all sorts of
>government control over the economy without any effort to deepen and widen
>the degree of democratic control over the government. Shades of Pat
>Buchanan! (Is it Greg Nowell who said that if you want to nationalize the
>oil companies you have to nationalize (i.e., democratize) the government
>first? if so, I say "amen.")
>
>However, we should predict the rise of fascism (the conversion of
>fuzzy-minded communitarians into full-scale authoritarians) without a
>severe economic and/or societal crisis.
>
>Is that kind of crisis going to occur in the US? Maybe not: if Robert
>Samuelson says it's increasingly likely (as in today's L.A. TIMES op-ed),
>then it's likely that it won't happen. ;-)
>
>Jim Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu &
>http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html

Rich Gibson Program Coordinator of Social Studies Wayne State University College of Education Detroit MI 48202

http://www.pipeline.com/~rgibson/index.html http://www.pipeline.com/~rgibson/meap.html

Life travels upward in spirals.

Those who take pains to search the shadows

of the past below us, then, can better judge the

tiny arc up which they climb,

more surely guess the dim

curves of the future above them.