Labor and the IMF

Richard Gibson rgibson at pipeline.com
Wed Oct 7 21:51:04 PDT 1998

The AFL-CIO never cut its CIA ties. The players are still in place, tho they did, a couple of years ago, finally stop spending most of their dues income outside the U.S. The AFT is up to its neck in this, tho some of the action has shifted from the NED to the Albert Shanker Institute (those interested in fascism might do well to review his life). The collapse of the USSR, hardly a bastion of leftist action, did not mean that the commies in the rest of the world went away, or that class struggle ended. The AFL understands that, and as a weapon of the bourgeiosie, keeps slugging away with their usual crap about organizing (on the side of the boss, for racism, for sexism, against workers taking charge of the process and product of production). Whatever increased organizing there is, in the U.S, or elsewhere, has a substance: class collaboration---which is exactly what the NEA/AFT Education International and all of its twins preaches.

At 12:46 PM 10/7/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Max Sawicky wrote:
>
>>>Pretty much. The "changes" at the AFL-CIO are largely cosmetic. . . . >
>>
>>One criterion to judge which I think is useful
>>is where money goes.
>
>I just heard that the AFL-CIO is spending $10 million a year on
>international activities, most of it coming from the National Endowment for
>Democracy and the U.S. Agency for International Development. And what are
>they doing with this money, now that they've no longer got a Cold War to
>fight and radical/independent unions to destroy? Good question. Anyone
>know? My sources said they're just staffing offices that do nothing. If
>they actually did anything to build international solidarity, my guess is
>the U.S. government would cut their allowance. Anyone have any other ideas
>about what they're up to?
>
>Doug

Rich Gibson Program Coordinator of Social Studies Wayne State University College of Education Detroit MI 48202

http://www.pipeline.com/~rgibson/index.html http://www.pipeline.com/~rgibson/meap.html

Life travels upward in spirals.

Those who take pains to search the shadows

of the past below us, then, can better judge the

tiny arc up which they climb,

more surely guess the dim

curves of the future above them.