The role of the state

Alex LoCascio alexlocascio at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 8 16:38:11 PDT 1998

>This is absurd. Anarchists come in a variety of stripes, from those
>who prefer free associations and a minimal state to those who froth at
>the mouth at any mention of social organization.

But then, even those who prefer a "minimal" state are no longer anarchists, since "anarchy" by it's very definition is the absence of a state. Chomsky, on the other hand, has advocated *expanding* the powers of the government in order to curb the power of multinational corporations (a proposal that I actually agree with; but then again, I don't consider myself an anarchist).