Guess who

Fri Oct 9 05:10:26 PDT 1998

Rudolf Hilferding wrote it in Finance Capital: A Study of the Latest Phase of Capitalist Development. By the way, there are several essays on credit money in the first volume of Riccardo Bellofiore, ed. Marxian Economics (including an evaluation of Hilferding's thesis by Nelson Pinto) and in Paolo Giusanni, ed. "Issues in Marxian Theory of Money and Credit" International Journal of Political Economy vol27, no 1 (Spring 1997). Hilferding is considered in Grossmann's magnum opus, Sweezy's Theory of Capitalist Development (where PS accepts Grossmann's analysis of the changed relationship between banks and industry, which Grossmann himself took from Alfred Weber), Mattick's Economic Crisis and Crisis Theory, and Mattick Jr' review of the Eng translation of Finance Capital in *Telos* from around 1983 (this was before Telos started taking money from the Moonies). There is a helpful chapter review of Hilferding's thesis in Wm Darity and Bobbie Horn's The Loan Pushers as well.

What I would like to know more about is the Max Adler/Rudolf Hilferding debate about the nature of the state in the 1920s.

best, rakesh