More Moles

Steve Grube grube at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 9 08:29:31 PDT 1998

Okay, since it's in The Nation, I guess we can talk about this... Haven't received 10/19 issue yet but in the 10/12 issue it has an ad for a similar device (uses ultrasonic sound waves) for mice, rats, etc on pg. 27. I just installed 5(!!!) of a similar device in my house and garage! I live in the country in the Monterey Bay area of California and due to El Nino it has been a prolific season for bugs and the whole food chain and so the rodents have prospered and luckily the hawks and owls. I think this is natures Asia-overcapacity-and-crash analog; with the crash still ahead. Anyway, I have these devices in the attic, basement, and 3 in the garage. The curious thing about them is they say it is out of hearing range and in fact they cycle at 30,000 to 60,000 cycles/sec. The thing that isn't mentioned is the *amplitude* of the signal----just because it is out of hearing range doesn't mean that it can't cause hearing damage if the amplitude is too high. So I'm in week one of the "final solution" for these pests. I'm additionally setting outside traps in boxes (a roach motel concept) to diminish the numbers of the newly homeless.

For moles I've used conventional traps that use a spring-driven fork from above....and the occasional garden-hose-flush treatment. -steve grube