Kalecki on full employment

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 9 14:10:31 PDT 1998

Marta Russell wrote:

>OK but after reading this I am unclear about what you are saying. The example
>given is that of full employment in fascist Germany. We do not know what full
>employment would mean in a capitalist democracy. Are you suggesting that full
>employment in a democracy would result in fascism?

It's arguing that sustained full employment is politically impossible under capitalism unless the state crushes labor. The ruling class just won't tolerate it for long. Places where full employment was previously tolerated, even encouraged - like Sweden during the high days of Soc Dem - no longer subscribe to the doctrine.

Doug