Kalecki on full employment

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 9 14:58:07 PDT 1998

Max Sawicky wrote:

>So why does the U.S. tolerate it now at
>all, with all the current, pervasive weakness
>of the working class? What's to be afraid of?

Because of the weak organization of the US working class, I think the ruling class will tolerate a lower rate of U than it would if the w.c. were stronger. But responding to this point: 1) Kalecki said *sustained* full employment, not a cyclical peak, and 2) if the world weren't teetering on the edge of a meltdown, the Fed would have tightened. See Greenspan's July 21 Humphrey-Hawkins testimony <http://www.bog.frb.fed.us/boarddocs/hh/> for an example. Here are the relevant paragraphs:

Doug