The role of the state

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Fri Oct 9 19:44:58 PDT 1998

<< you should be convinced that Justin

Schwartz is absolutely clueless. >>

Well it goes without saying that I am clueless, so i won't say it. My point about Chomsky was that apart from a few odd essays and interviews where he defends anarchism, you wouldn't know that he'[s an anarchist. The bulk of his very substantial practical intellectaul and political work is the defense of the welfare state and greater government control over the economy in the face of the free market (so called). I read a piece recently, I think in Z, where he tries to explain how this fits with anarchism. I wasn't persuaded, although I am aware that there are lots of kinds of narchists. Few, however, are as ardent defenders of the liberal social-democratic welfare state as Chomsky. Mind you, I think that liberal social democratic welfare state woulld bea good idea. Wish we had one here.

Cluelessly

Justin Schwartz