Kalecki on full employment

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Oct 9 20:05:08 PDT 1998

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, James Devine wrote:

> However, I don't think Kalecki's analysis deals very well with the
> social-democratic type "deal" that Sweden had for many years. Of course,
> that kind of deal is impossible in the US unless the working class gets
> much significantly more organized and class-conscious and capital becomes
> more centralized and much less mobile internationally.

I don't know about this showing Kalecki's limitations. When Sweden had an exceptional full employment policy, they had an exceptionally organized working class -- over 70% at its peak -- and an exceptionally close bond between the unions and their labor party. At their high-water mark, labor party ideology was pretty much hegomonic in the country. And they were in what now looks in retrospect to have been a blessed conjuncture. I don't think Kalecki would have any problem with that. The exception proves the rule: without all that, you can't get that close. As you pretty much say yourself in the next thought with regards to the US.