Smith again

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Oct 12 20:29:40 PDT 1998

Actually he's fondest of landlords (because their class interest coincides with the general interest, and therefore they can be trusted to best manage society) and modern capitalist farmers -- i.e., the gentry -- because there is no capital so productive as agricultural capital.

At least that's the story in WON. But you might be able to make a good case for his preference for the petty bourgeoisie if you based yourself on his other big book, _The Theory of Moral Sentiments_.

Michael