Paula's query on investing

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue Oct 13 11:38:28 PDT 1998

Well, if Greg is looking for good advice, he should follow that of his mother's and the opposite of what he was pushing a little while ago. On average one can beat the S&P 500 (and an index tied to it, the next best way to go) by buying a deeply discounted closed-end fund and holding it.

BTW, it may well be that we have seen the bottom of the market. Japan has made a bank bailout deal finally, which is pleasing the Asian markets (as well as the US's). The other hidden factor, not mentioned by anybody recently, behind the Fed's interest rate cut has to do with China. It is coming out that this was coordinated with Tokyo and it was planned that the yen should go up and the US dollar down. Given the peg of the Chinese yuan/renmimbi to the dollar, this effectively devalues the Chinese currency vis a vis the yen, something the Chinese have wanted and threatened to do on their own. As was noted earlier on this list, that would have triggered a new round of tanking on the Asian markets. That now looks unlikely.

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu