Jameson & "capital"

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 13 13:56:59 PDT 1998

Dennis R Redmond wrote:

> Still, I can't think of any
> other US theorist of his generation who has insisted so strongly that
> theory is just another form of politics, and actually pulled this off;
> "Marxism and Form" and "The Political Unconscious" are just chockful of
> wonderful Marxist readings of literary works,

So? I read both those books carefully years ago (and browse in the latter occasionally since I own it), and I have never been able to make the slightest use of either in my thinking about the world. In fact, I am never able to remember anything he says in them long enough for it to make a difference. He did write some interesting essays on his experiences in Nicaragua.

Carrol