On Smith

Mathew Forstater forstate at levy.org
Tue Oct 13 17:59:32 PDT 1998

Heilbroner's THE ESSENTIAL ADAM SMITH includes excellent excerpts from THE THEORY OF MORAL SENTIMENTS (TMS), AN INQUIRY INTO THE NATURE AND CAUSES OF THE WEALTH OF NATIONS (WN), as well as LECTURES ON JURISPRUDENCE, and HISTORY OF ASTRONOMY. Heilbroner also has two very important good articles on Smith : "The Paradox of Progress: Decline and Decay in the Wealth of Nations" (arguing that Smith's system leads to both material decline and moral decay) in Andrew Skinner's 1976 edited collection commemorating the 200th anniversary of the Wealth of Nations. Also "The Socialization of the Individual Adam Smith" from HISTORY OF POLITICAL ECONOMY. Full refs available on request. Also, the Scottish school of Political Economy, including the works of A. L. Macfie (THE INDIVIDUAL IN SOCIETY), D. D. Raphael, Andrew Skinner, and others all present the "other" Adam Smith. All highly recommended. As Michael P. pointed out, most economists have never read WN, and never even heard of TMS. "Das Adam Smith Problem" concerning the relation of Smith's two great works (TMS and WN) is effectively dealt with by the Scottish school and Heilbroner, as well as work by Vivienne Brown and Jerry Evensky. This is not to take away anything from Michael's interesting and learned interpretation. Mat