enough = enough?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 13 20:03:10 PDT 1998

[A friend writes...]

Dear Friend, I am part of a grass roots movement to speak out against the madness of the Clinton-Lewinsky investigation. It is time for us to take action. We are circulating this petition, via the Internet, to all our acquaintances, with the intention of gathering massive numbers of signatures to be forwarded to newspapers, radio and television, and to Congress. If you agree with our statement, please visit our site -- http://www.EnoughIsEnough.org/ -- and add your name.

PETITION

WE THE PEOPLE sign this letter to serve notice that we adamantly oppose any further expenditure of public funds or public servants' time on the Clinton-Lewinsky affair.

The investigation has gone far beyond the bounds of moral decency. Our nation has been subjected to a witch hunt, a barbaric public spectacle of sexual McCarthyism which violates civil rights. Citizens have been entrapped and illegally taped. Secret grand jury testimony has been broadcast to the world via television and the Internet. These events shake the foundation of fair treatment under the law. Dictatorships behave this way, not democracies.

Our outrage transcends any issue of approval or disapproval of the President. When the privacy and civil rights of Monica Lewinsky and President Clinton are so violated, no citizen or public servant is safe from this kind of invasive scrutiny and humiliation.

We can no longer remain silent. We strongly urge lawmakers to find a solution that will end this madness promptly and stop the obscene waste of our nation's resources.