Rebuttal of anti-Communism

Brett Knowlton brettk at unica-usa.com
Thu Oct 15 09:52:15 PDT 1998

I agree with Brad on this point.

I liked the thrust of Charles' post about communism - you almost never see the mainstream attitudes towards communism challenged, even though they are largely unsubstantiated. So it was refreshing in that sense.

But it disturbs me when people like Stalin are praised in the process. After all, what are we after? Stalin may have flattened the income distribution, but his record on social justice is atrocious. Who cares if you have income equality if you live in fear?

You don't have to praise communist thugs, or make broad claims that communism was a "great succes," to point out that communism did some beneficial things and had real accomplishments. The alternative gets too ideological for my comfort.

Brett