Fed cuts rates; crisis over?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 15 12:28:37 PDT 1998

The Federal Reserve just cut its target for the fed funds rate by 0.25 percentage points, and lowered the discount rate by the same amount. The Dow is up 250 points as I type, with financial stocks strong. That doesn't mean that people in Thailand will be trading their dinners of tree bark for ones of chicken in green curry sauce anytime soon, of course. Nor does it mean that the U.S. stock market will turn in 25% annual returns for the next decade. But I'm starting to think the worst of the world financial crisis may be over. Not certain by any means, but leaning in that direction.

Doug