Smith still once again

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Thu Oct 15 21:24:33 PDT 1998

Willis, Kirk. 1979. "The role in Parliament of the economic ideas of Adam Smith, 1776-1800. "History of Political Economy." Vol. 11, No. 4 (Summer): pp. 505-44.

510: "The eighteenth century debates are studded with references to the economic writings of John Locke, David Hume, Gregory King, Charles Davenant, Sir Josiah Child, Sir William Petty, Dean Josiah Tucker, and Arthur Young. Moreover, the number of citations of Smith is minute compared to these other writers. For instance, while there are slightly over forty references to Smith in the eighteenth-century debates, there are literally hundreds of citations of Arthur Young's great works. Indeed, Smith runs a poor ninth or tenth in comparison with many economic authorities."

Smith was respected as a philosopher, but was not considered to be important as an economist.

542: "It would not be until the generation of Canning (b. 1770), Liverpool (1770), Huskisson (1770), Brougham (1778), Robinson (1782), Palmerston (1784), Peel (1788), and Russell (1792) came to prominence that the ideas of political economy would achieve dominance in Parliament."

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu