Religious right orders Lott/Gingrich to kill Hate Crime bill

K d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Fri Oct 16 07:40:11 PDT 1998

Gad, I hear from another list that, according to a woman who lives in the town where Matthew lived, that some folks are planning demonstrations that suggest that Matthew deserved what he got. That's really sick and tragic. I guess the cops are in full force waiting for violence to break out.

Kelley -----Original Message----- From: John Aravosis <john at wiredstrategies.com> PROGRESSIVE SOCIOLOGISTS NETWORK <psn at csf.colorado.edu> date: Friday, October 16, 1998 9:26 AM subject: ALERT: Religious right orders Lott/Gingrich to kill Hate Crime bill

Personal note from John of Wired Strategies: a well-placed Senate source told me tonight that a certain well-known "family values" group has told Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott (R-MS) to kill the Hate Crimes Prevention Act before Congress finishes up today (Friday). Today is Matthew's funeral. And while the Rev. Fred Phelps is protesting at Matthew's grave, his henchman are doing their best to keep hate alive in Washington. We HAVE to get as many calls - not emails (it's too late for that) - as possible to Lott and Gingrich IMMEDIATELY!

Let's do this one for Matthew, folks.

PS Don't let them tell you they're passing, or have passed, a "resolution" on Matthew's death. These are do-nothing bills, like declaring "National Butter Day", that Congress passes to kiss up to special interests - we want a real law that protects our lives.

ONLINE DAY OF ACTION FOR MATTHEW Friday October 16, 1998

*** NATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS ANNOUNCE DAY OF URGENT ACTION TO HONOR MATTHEW SHEPARD *** *** EVERYONE URGED TO PHONE LOTT AND GINGRICH NOW!!! ***

WHO: The Human Rights Campaign, Wired Strategies, GLAAD, NGLTF and PlanetOut are jointly sponsoring a national day of action to tell Congress "Enough is Enough - Pass the Hate Crimes Law NOW!"

WHAT: We are mobilizing the Net to shut down the phones of House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott until they pass the HATE CRIMES PREVENTION ACT. Congress' last day for the year is Friday October 16 - so we need to act now, and close them down all day long.

WHEN: Friday October 16, naturally.

HOW'S IT WORK?: The action is easy.

1) Pick up the phone and call Sen. Lott and Rep. Gingrich now!

* Lott's phone numbers: (202) 224-3135, and (202) 224-6253

* Gingrich's phone numbers: (202) 225-0600, and (202) 225-4501

* TELL THEM: "Matthew Shepard's death in not just a tragedy, it's unacceptable. Congress has been sitting on the Hate Crimes Prevention Act for over a year. Pass it now before the Congressional session is over!"

2) Send this email to as many friends as possible, urging them to act.

3) If you have a Web site, we would ask that you post a new home page all day Friday - which we provide below - honoring Matthew and calling on everyone visiting your site to call Sen. Lott and Rep. Gingrich immediately. The html text for the page is included below.

A FINAL WORD: Matthew Shepard may be gone, but we refuse to let his too short life and untimely death be in vain. Please join us now in turning our sorrow and anger into positive action. If you need some inspiration, take another look at the Virtual Vigil page on the Matthew Shepard Online Resources Web site, read the quotes and see the pictures, again. And remember why we're doing this. <http://www.wiredstrategies.com/shepard.html>

TODAY

I black out my homepage.

I call for an end to hate and violence.

I call on religious political extremist groups to stop their anti-gay ads.

I call on Congress to pass the Hate Crime Prevention Act.

I am right now callingTrent Lott (202) 224-3135 and Newt Gingrich (202) 225-0600 demanding passage of this bill.

I ask you to call them as well.