Fed cuts rates; crisis over?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 16 10:07:27 PDT 1998

Louis Proyect wrote:

>You have to look at things globally, as anybody trained in Marxism should.

I am looking at things globally. The Japanese bank bailout is an important part of the picture, as are the almost-certain rate cuts from European central banks. And though I don't think Asia is about to boom, there's a financial stabilizing that could be a prelude to one in the real sector. Of course there's plenty that could go wrong (or right, if you're rooting for collapse) - Russia or Brazil or another hedge fund. You could also read the Fed's action as a sign that things are worse than they seem. Anything could happen. But I think that Armageddonish speech, like William Greider's or Mark Jones's, is getting ahead of events.

Doug