olive oil spike

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Fri Oct 16 12:44:13 PDT 1998

Greg Nowell wrote:

> This is an issue of central importance in our
> household. Would the person who posted that he had
> seen a spike in Spain before it reached here, please
> say, where and how he figured out that there was a
> spike in order to commence proper hoarding? I check
> futures markets periodically but don't recall seeing
> olive oil.

It wasn't very scientific I read about the harvests in Spanish newspapers on the internet, and my mom confirmed that prices there had more than doubled. I ran to the grocery store, and they were still selling it at the old prices. so I bought three gallons (enough to get me through until the next harvest). Neat arbitraging, I netted roughly $40.

For more specific data look at

http://www.oliva.net/pool/mol.htm

"Grafico de evolucion de precios" is a long term look at prices, updated monthly, with a 3-month lag. For up-to-date information go to "Precios actualizados". No big changes in the last three months. It's in Spanish, with the prices in pesetas/kg for virgin, refined and shitty (they don't call it that), but should be understandable. The prices have come down a lot, but I don't think US prices fully reflect this fall.

(1$=140 pesetas, give or take).

Cheers,

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 758 8962 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique