Smith still once again

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Fri Oct 16 21:29:53 PDT 1998

<< What I would like a crib on, is how to read the English law citations,

like 18 Eliz., c. 9. The 18th year of Elizabeth I's reign, law no. 9?

Not that I'm going to look them up, I'd just like to know.

I think that's right, except the "c" is "clause." You can cite further to "s." for sentence. Nowadays you cite to Halsberry's Statutes, volume Statutes page (date), for statutes and to the appropriate reporter, similar form, for caselaw. The old reporters and yearbooks are rather a mess. --jks